Reduced Exam Fee Scholarship Program
APA members with financial hardships are encouraged to become AICP members by taking advantage of the Reduced Exam Fee Scholarship program. The program was put into place to offer assistance to those individuals who may defer taking, or are unable to take the AICP exam because of its cost. Each chapter is allowed a specified number of recipients. Iowa is allotted one scholarship per calendar year. Scholarship recipients pay reduced fees to AICP as follows:
- First time AICP applicants: $135 (combined $70 application and $65 exam fee)
- Previously approved AICP applicants: $65 (exam fee only)
If scholarship recipients pay the regular instead of the reduced fees before receiving notice of selection, AICP will promptly refund the fee difference to the candidates.
If you are interested in applying for a scholarship you must submit to me a written explanation of financial hardship (including financial hardship caused by a budget cutback in a firm or agency), that necessitates the request. Financial hardship is defined by APA as:
1. The applicant(s) selected will be otherwise unlikely to take the exam without the reduced fee.
2. The applicant’s employer will not subsidize the exam fee.
3. Members of ethnic or racial minorities shall be given preference.
Your application must address each of these three points. Your request must be submitted to Gary Taylor, APA-Iowa Chapter Professional Development Officer (firstname.lastname@example.org), by January 15, 2014 for the May 2014 testing window. The deadline for the November 2014 exam will be in mid-July.