2013 Upper Midwest Planners Conference Teaser
This year's conference will take place on September 18 - 20, 2013 at the Rochester Civic Center. More importantly, we will be hosting the Upper Midwest Planners Conference. As part of our conference planning efforts, we are excited about the opportunity to work with our neighboring chapters to offer a conference program that highlights planning efforts throughout the Midwest. We encourage everyone from the Dakotas, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, and Illinois to participate in this exciting event.
This year's conference theme, "Operation: Plan! Prioritizing Community Vitals" takes a playful spin on Rochester's health industry. This theme provides a foundation for a conference program that emphasizes how communities are tackling their planning needs in a new era. We have also built a program that offers multiple opportunities to enjoy the outdoors and explore the streets of Rochester. In that respect, we are shaking it up a bit with a revamped program that offers more mobile tours and networking opportunities.. To help spark your interest, here are a few events you can expect at this year’s conference:
- Wednesday Night Awards Banquet at the Rochester Art Center – Meet the 2013 winners, while enjoying some appetizers, drinks and the D’Sievers (a jazz trio);
- Key Note Speaker Ron Sims – Ron Sims is the former Deputy Secretary of the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and Executive Director of King County, Washington. Based on his experience in those roles, he will speak about the importance of local and regional planning as a contributor to the economic vitality, social equity, and population health of communities;
- A panel discussion with Christopher Leinberger (2011 APA MN Conference Keynote Speaker). APA MN Program Committee anticipates Rochester Staff, Mayo Clinic Representatives, and Community Leaders to participate and reflect on the important factors to consider within the context of Rochester's planned development;
- A Night on the Town – Join colleagues and sponsors Thursday night at two local establishments for drinks and networking opportunities;
- Two GTS trainings;
- Over 50 sessions, including multiple ethic and law trainings, as well as speed sessions;
- Mobile tours, walking tours, a morning 5K and a bike ride; and
- Exhibitor space, activities and prizes.
On behalf of APA Minnesota, we are pleased to host this year's Upper Midwest Planners Conference. Please visit the conference website at www.plannersconference.com to learn more about hotel reservations and how to become a conference sponsor.
Lance H. Bernard Melissa Poehlman, AICP
Conference Co-Chair Conference Co-Chair