Job Title: Planning Technician
Job Type: Full Time - Temporary
Location: Platteville, WI
Southwestern Wisconsin Regional Planning Commission (SWWRPC) seeks a qualified candidate to assist in the development of the Monroe Comprehensive Plan Update. As an extension of local government, SWWRPC serves the five counties of Southwestern Wisconsin (Grant, Green, Iowa, Lafayette, and Richland) in land use, transportation and economic development planning. The Planning Technician reports to the Planning Program Manager.
SWWRPC seeks a qualified individual to lead the public outreach, surveying, and community input portion of the planning process. The successful candidate will also inform the development and agenda for various public engagement sessions around various key topics, with an emphasis on public health. This work will include, but not be limited to, conducting one-on-one interviews with key stakeholders, generating a survey and conducting survey distribution and collection, and facilitating public outreach sessions around specific topics such as land use, transportation, and natural resources.
The successful candidate will have experience with survey design and methodology through coursework and, preferably, professional experience. They will be able to think strategically and identify various outreach strategies that will result in the greatest outreach, participation, and feedback of community needs.
This position offers an excellent opportunity for the individual who enjoys a diverse work load, a flexible schedule, and the opportunity to make a difference in a growing and changing rural region. We will strive to work with the qualified candidate to further develop and encourage use of the candidate’s personal interests and talents.
- Possession of a bachelor’s degree and candidacy towards a Master’s Degree in Urban and Regional Planning, Public Health, or similar program;
- Understanding of the Health in All Policies framework for planning, with specific awareness of health issues facing rural America;
- Flexible schedule, ability to attend night meetings, ability to work longer hours certain weeks to meet deadlines;
- Flexible schedule, ability to work from our Platteville office during the summer of 2015, and attend bi-weekly staff meetings throughout the project;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, comfortable communicating with a wide range of audiences from diverse backgrounds;
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to retrieve, organize, and analyze data;
- Strong work ethic, self-motivated, ability to work on several projects at once, ability to work independently;
- Familiarity with economic development, transportation, and land use tools and principles;
- Ability to comfortably lead meetings with local government officials and community organizations;
- Ability to work independently or in a team environment as needed;
- Ability to attend to details while keeping big-picture goals in mind;
- An understanding of the intersection of public health and planning, how they impact each other, and how sound planning leads to public health outcomes;
- Successful candidate must possess a valid Wisconsin Driver’s License.
PLANNING TECHNICIANS WILL BE PERFORMING THE FOLLOWING TASKS:
- Develop surveys for public outreach, targeting various segments of the population and key issues requiring public input;
- Work with planning staff and the Monroe community to identify means of survey distribution that will result in the greatest input, and provide all data analysis and data entry once surveys are collected;
- Assist in developing several public engagement sessions, and facilitate these sessions in Monroe;
- Assist planning staff in implementing a Health In All Policies framework for the planning process, using public health as a lens through which to view various aspects of community life.
- Experience working with GIS and knowledge of ESRI is desired, and knowledge of GIS planning applications is preferred;
- Experience with Adobe programs (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop), html, WordPress, SPSS, and Google Apps a plus.
- Be creative with an eye for design;
- Experience proofreading and editing;
- Ability to contribute individually, and participate in cross-functional teams;
- Candidates coming from one of the five counties served by SWWRPC are preferred;
- Familiarity with Southwestern Wisconsin or similar rural region.
The qualified candidate will ideally work from our offices in Platteville, Wisconsin, with frequent trips to the City of Monroe. However, residency arrangements are negotiable depending on availability and qualifications of the successful candidate.
AVAILABILITY: This position is 10-20 hours a week through early June, with full-time employment in the summer of 2015. Specific start and end dates can be discussed during the interview process.
COMPENSATION: $10/hour (exempt from benefits). SWWRPC can assist with the successful candidate find housing for the summer of 2015.
Those interested should submit an electronic cover letter, resume, three professional references, a writing sample that demonstrates effective written communication and grammar, and a completed SWWRPC Application (available at http://swwrpc.org/wordpress/about/employment-opportunities/) to email@example.com .
Only electronic applications will be reviewed. Applications will be accepted until a suitable candidate is found.
Please be sure to clearly indicate which position you wish to apply for in the subject line of your email submission.
SWWRPC is fully committed to attracting, retaining, developing and promoting the most qualified employees without regard to their race, gender, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship status, veteran status, or any other characteristic prohibited by state or local law. We are dedicated to providing a work environment free from discrimination and harassment and where employees are treated with respect and dignity.