Transportation Planning Intern
Job Title: Transportation Planning Intern
Job Type: Full Time - Temporary
Location: Burnsville, MN
The Transportation Planning Intern will provide support for the completion of short- and long-term planning, funding or transportation studies for city, state and federal clients. Projects may include site impact analysis, facility capacity analysis, travel demand modeling, planning and evaluation of ITS deployments and testing, corridor studies, transportation alternatives analyses including multimodal assessments, interchange justification reports, socioeconomic evaluations, environmental impact screening, and policy analysis. Assigned tasks will be completed under the general supervision of Project Managers and more experienced planners and engineers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Participates in the execution of project tasks such as site impact analyses, facility capacity analyses, travel demand modeling, planning and evaluation of ITS deployments and tests, transportation plans and corridor studies, transportation alternatives analyses, economic evaluation and policy analyses.
· Participates in focus groups with client stakeholders to identify priorities for projects under contract.
· Evaluates alternative improvements using a variety of evaluation methods including capacity analysis, network demand modeling, economic evaluation, statistical modeling and GIS analysis.
· Conducts statistical analysis used in the identification and solution of transportation planning issues.
· Under the direction of Project Managers and other team members as assigned, participates in tasks and schedules with other non-exempt project team members.
· Writes objective summary analyses for reports which are used in the completion of project assignments.
· Assists in the preparation of detailed project cost estimates.
· Completes field observation, inspection and data collection duties as directed by senior staff.
· Uses GIS to map data and create, evaluate and exhibit project features, and study area issues.
Relationship to Others:
The position reports directly to the Transportation Planning Manager with the day-to-day direction of Project Engineers, Project Managers, Project Principals, or other staff for assigned projects. Individual must function in a team-oriented environment.
Education and/or Experience:
The Transportation Planning Intern must be in pursuit of a bachelor’s or master’s degree from an accredited four-year or graduate planning program. Prior internship experience is a plus. Knowledge of office software (Word, Excel, etc.), GIS and/or engineering analysis and automation tools is preferred.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Certificates, Licenses, and Registrations:
The employee must be capable of driving/operating a motor vehicle for company business, and maintain a valid driver’s license in the state of residence.
Work is primarily performed in the office with occasional trips to a client’s site or other locations as needed. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit for prolonged period of time, stand, walk, talk, hear, and reach with hands or arms. Hand eye coordination is necessary to operate computers and other office equipment. The employee is also required to kneel, crouch, and bend. Must be capable of carrying up to 30 pounds of equipment over all types of terrain and in all types of weather conditions. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The application deadline is April 30, 2016. Start Date is May 31, 2016 and would be full time throughout the summer. Please forward a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.