Business Development Specialist—Iowa
Job Title: Business Development Specialist—Iowa
Job Type: Full Time
Location: Urbandale, IA
Founded in 1991, First Children’s Finance (FCF) is a national nonprofit organization with a mission to increase the sustainability and supply of quality child care. To achieve our goals, FCF works on three levels: Individual Business Level, Community Level and Systems Level. FCF has assisted hundreds of child care centers, preschools and homes through business consulting, business training, business development cohorts, and access to capital through small loans. We have assisted urban and rural communities with market feasibility and strategic planning, through community consulting. We also work on the systems level to inform and lead initiatives that improve systems of support for early care and education across Iowa and the U.S.
For more information see our website at www.FirstChildrensFinance.org
The Business Development Specialist (BDS), supervised by the Regional Director, carries out FCF’s child care business training, business consulting, community consulting, loan fund, and business development programs. The BDS works with the FCF team to represent, promote and ensure the effectiveness of all core programs and new initiatives as they are developed.
The Iowa BDS will work with clients and communities throughout the State of Iowa, requiring some travel, work in rural and urban areas, and work occasionally on evenings and weekends
Duties and Responsibilities
Under supervision of the Regional Director:
- Conduct, coordinate, and promote, FCF’s core program areas serving child care businesses and communities, including but not limited to:
- Providing one-on-one consulting to start-up and existing child care businesses through on-site visits, email, phone, and other forms of communication.
- Assisting child care businesses to write business and strategic plans.
- Developing financial projections for start-up and existing child care businesses including budgets and cash flow.
- Conducting breakeven analysis on start-up and existing child care businesses.
- Conducting accurate child care market research and report findings in a professional format.
- Conducting training and large group facilitation.
- In all work, represent FCF’s reputation as a national leader on the business side of early care and education.
- Support FCF’s relationships with a diversity of stakeholders.
- Accurately enter and manage time reports and client/partner/funder data.
- Assist with grant-writing, proposal-writing, prospect research and contracts management.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
A bachelor’s degree or higher in business, finance, community and regional planning, community or economic development, management, public administration; or an associate’s degree in a related field with at least 5 years of experience in a similar position.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
In addition to the Duties/Responsibilities listed above, the BDS must be strong in the following areas:
- Excellent working knowledge of business structures, management, accounting, and policies
- Excellent written & oral communications; including MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Excellent math and mathematical reasoning
- Strong skills in consulting with small businesses, nonprofits and/or schools
- Abilities to visualize, observe, interpret, think strategically, plan, implement, problem-solve
- Work collaboratively with diverse staff, customers, partners and stakeholders
- Work effectively as part of a team; and with little supervision
- Travel, work in rural and urban areas, and work occasionally on evenings and weekends
- Perform detailed work under changing deadlines and on multiple concurrent projects
- Maintain confidentiality of sensitive business data and information
- Working with diverse populations in a professional setting. Working directly on community or economic planning projects
- Carrying out communications or public relations responsibilities
- Working in a significant partnership or collaboration role.
- Work with lending and/or financial planning including budgets and forecasts
- Fundraising, grant writing or other project financing
- Work with early care and education in a professional setting
- Creative and collaborative
- A team player, partner, and networker
- Energetic, enthusiastic, with a can-do attitude
- A systems thinker, able to maintain a big-picture focus while attending to detail
- Open to learning and accepting constructive feedback
- Organized, self-starter, multi-tasker
Location: FCF’s regional office is located in Urbandale, Iowa. Telecommuting options may be available depending on the assignment and the location of the ideally qualified candidate.
Reports To: FCF Regional Director—Iowa Status: Full-Time, Exempt
Salary and Benefits: Salary is competitive with nonprofit business development specialist salaries for comparable organizations in Iowa and other FCF offices. Benefits include medical, dental, life, and disability insurance; holidays and paid time off.
To Apply: Attach your cover letter and résumé to a single email and send to: [email protected], with “Iowa BDS Application” in the subject line. Include your full name, phone number, email and address on the cover letter. Questions may be emailed to [email protected].
Application Deadline and Position Start Date: Review of applications will begin December 7, 2018. Applications may be submitted until the position is filled. Anticipated start date is approximately January 7, 2019.